If you’re a cruise junkie like me, the announcement of a new, shiny, pretty ship is like a holiday. For me, Christmas Eve. So imagine how it feels when the new, shiny, pretty ship actually ARRIVES to its home port and is ready to sail! Well…today was like Christmas Day for the cruising world, as Norwegian Breakaway was christened in her new home of New York City. The ship will offer 7- and 12- day itineraries to Bermuda, Florida and the Caribbean…year round. So for you folks who live in the Midwest and East Coast who don’t feel like flying to Florida, Texas or New Orleans for a cruise and are looking for a tropical getaway in the dead of winter, this may be another great option for you! (Note: Other cruise lines offer East Coast departures from Boston, Baltimore, New York, New Jersey, Norfolk and Charleston…this is just the NEWEST ship in that region).
Completed in a mere 18 months, Norwegian Breakaway is a floating tribute to the Big Apple, from her Broadway style shows to the eating venues; even the ship’s godmothers are unique to New York City (heard of the Radio City Rockettes?). The ship has over 2,000 passenger cabins accommodating 4,000 cruise passengers. Norwegian’s unique single passenger studio cabins appear on this ship, as does The Haven, NCL’s unique and exclusive courtyard area for guests booked in suites. Here are a few other ship highlights (info obtained from Norwegian Breakaway press release):
* Three Broadway Style show will be offered: Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor (!), and Cirque Dreams Dinner & Jungle Fantasy
* First open-air boardwalk at sea, complete with oceanfront dining
* Other entertainment options such as The Second City comedy troupe and dueling pianos at Howl at the Moon
* Norwegian’s signature specialty dining venues such as Le Bistro and Cagney’s Steakhouse. Celebrity Chef and Food Network star Geoffrey Zakarian will also debut his first restaurant at sea on Norwegian Breakaway: Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian. Buddy Valastro, star of the TLC series “Cake Boss,” will open an extension of his popular bakery, Carlo’s Bake Shop. (28 different dining options, overall)
* The first Aqua Park at sea with five full-size water slides, including twin Free Fall slides, the first ever at sea, and a three-story sports complex that includes the largest ropes course at sea, a nine-hole miniature golf course, basketball court, rock climbing wall and more
For a more comprehensive look at Norwegian Breakaway, check out the video!
I personally can’t wait to sail aboard this ship. It looks gorgeous and shiny, and I am looking forward to trying out all of the new venues created for Norwegian Breakaway. Not to mention, those water slides look SICK! Special mention to the Hotel Director Mr. Denis Prguda. I had a chance to meet Denis when we sailed the Norwegian Jade and hope to see him again aboard Breakaway!
Edited to Add: This Tweet was favorited by The Rockettes. I feel like one of the cool kids today!
— BonVoyage by Barbour (@BVBTravel) May 8, 2013